Back to Basics Competency Quiz
For Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), advocates, solicitors, the judiciary, representatives, intermediaries, police officers, independent, sexual violence advisers (ISVAs) and other relevant support service staff working on historic child sexual abuse / sexual assault cases.
- Name the 4 core dynamics of trauma that can affect people who have been sexually abused in childhood.
- Three of the trauma dynamics you identified in 1 above are often replicated in the legal process, which ones are they?
In this context the legal process for the client / witness/ service user can be from the moment of first contacting police/solicitors until case closure.
- In the context of clients / witnesses / parties who have been sexually abused in childhood what is a trigger?
- Using the 3 trauma dynamics you identified in Question 2 above give an example of how each one of them can be replicated during the legal process. [a] [b] [c]
- Are the 4 trauma dynamics triggers? Y/N
- Give 3 cross-examination techniques that mirror each of the 3 trauma dynamics of childhood sexual abuse you identified in question 2 above.
- Name 3 specific triggers and 3 non-specific triggers for clients / witnesses / parties generally.
- How can triggers adversely impact:-
[a] clients / witnesses / parties
[b] the provision of their evidence
[c] case handling?
Give an example of each.
- What are boundaries and why are they essential when working with people who have been sexually abused in childhood?
- What is the potential adverse impact upon the provision of evidence by clients/ witnesses / case handling, if your professional boundaries are too rigid?
- How do your boundaries need to be to facilitate the best disclosure / provision of evidence from clients / witnesses when taking statements and why?
- For the judiciary, police officers, lawyers and the administrative staff who work with them, who would be more vulnerable to Secondary Traumatic Stress and why?
- What is the main difference between Burnout, Compassion Fatigue and Secondary Traumatic Stress?
- Name 3 factors in a client’s / witness’s disclosures that can exacerbate the adverse impact of compassion fatigue.
- Name 5 symptoms Secondary Traumatic Stress which can adversely impact professionals personally.
- Name 3 symptoms of Secondary Traumatic Stress which impair professionalism.
- Give 3 examples of how each of the symptoms you identified in 16 above can adversely impact case handling.
- Give 3 examples of how a professional experiencing any of the 3 symptoms identified in 16 above can adversely impact a client/witness/party.
- Name 5 more symptoms a colleague or member of staff would be exhibiting personally or professionally if they were experiencing Secondary Traumatic Stress. Your answers need to be different to those given in questions 15 and 16 above.
- What do you most need from your witness / party / client to facilitate case handling?
No answers are provided for this Quiz as they should not be necessary. In the event that more than 5 answers are required, a bespoke training day would be beneficial.
For more details email: firstname.lastname@example.org